UPM requires all its suppliers to be fully compliant with the requirements of the European Community REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals) and CLP (Classification, Labelling and Packaging) regulations.
We pre-evaluate all chemicals prior to making a purchasing decision. The following documents must therefore be provided to UPM mill procurement and to the contact person for chemical purchasing:
- The latest Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and when applicable exposure scenarios in the languages of the UPM unit in question;
- The supplier’s declaration that the chemical in question does not contain any prohibited substances, or information on the content of restricted substances included in the UPM Restricted Chemical Substance List (RSL);
- Ecolabel declaration/information where applicable;
- The supplier’s statement that the chemical/raw material in question is compliant with US Food and Drug Administration FDA requirements for food contact materials (FDA CFR 21, Part 176 or another relevant part) and/or Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung (BfR) recommendation XXXVI, if applicable;
- A statement declaring that the chemical/raw material is compliant with toy safety requirements, where applicable.
- Compliance with the regulations of The EU Biocides Regulation 528/2012 (EU BPR), where applicable.
Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
The MSDS must contain all elements required by chemical legislation applying ECHA guidance. If any later changes are made to the MSDS document, a separate update must be sent in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org and to your sourcing contact.
The accompanying email must also include information detailing which UPM Pulp and Paper mills in Europe or UPM Timber and Plywood units in Finland have received the said chemical.
UPM Restricted Chemical Substance List (UPM RSL)
To guarantee that chemical suppliers comply with UPM’s high sustainability standards, UPM has launched the UPM Restricted Chemical Substance List (UPM RSL), which is an attachment to the UPM contract. We trust all our pulp, paper and plywood mill chemical and raw material suppliers to comply with the list. The list is divided into two sections: Section 1) Prohibited substances intentionally not included in the raw materials or chemicals section 2) Restricted substances. Suppliers are required to notify their contact in UPM Sourcing of any possible restricted substances contained in their product.
EU Ecolabel Requirements
The EU Ecolabel defines further criteria for UPM graphic papers, tissue paper and tissue products production processes, covering:
- emissions to air and water;
- energy use;
- fibres: conserving resources, sustainable forest management;
- chemicals: restricted hazardous substances and mixtures;
- waste management;
- fitness for use.
Suppliers delivering process and functional chemicals to UPM mills that manufacture Ecolabelled copy or graphic paper or newsprint paper must provide a warranty complying with the EU Ecolabel criteria for graphic paper and the EU Ecolabel criteria for tissue paper and tissue products (2019/70/EU); Chemicals are at criterion 4 – Restricted hazardous substances and mixtures) together with the latest updated MSDS to the Competent Body/ Kirsi Auranmaa (kirsi.auranmaa(at)ecolabel.fi) and to
UPM Responsibility/Miia Härkönen (productstewardship(at)upm.com).
Old criteria are valid till 31.12.2019 or until update against new criteria is done.
All chemical suppliers are required to send minimum SVHC compliance declaration / statement.
Links to the Declaration documents below:
|EU Ecolabel Graphic paper, tissue paper and tissue products (2019/70/EU)|
|Combined Declaration – Combined declaration for all types of chemicals||Declaration 6 – Lotions|
|Declaration 1– SVHCs for chemicals for which there is no specific declaration|
|Declaration 2 – Coating, cleaning, defoamers and dispersants|
|Declaration 3 – De-inking chemicals|
|Declaration 4 – Biocides|
|Declaration 5 - Dyes|
Pulp needs to fulfill Tissue Criteria requirements.
Nordic Ecolabel (Swan) Requirements
Nordic Ecolabelling defines environmental requirements concerning the origin of the raw wood material, air and water emissions, use of energy as well as the chemicals used in the production of the pulp and paper. Products are reviewed from a life-cycle perspective, from sourcing through to waste.
The Basic Module contains general requirements concerning forestry management, emissions, energy use and waste disposal regarding pulp and paper production. The Forestry Requirements contain information about the requirements for raw materials deriving from forestry operations.
The Chemical Module contains general requirements regarding the use of chemicals in the manufacture of pulp and paper. Suppliers must fulfill Nordic Ecolabelling (Swan) chemical criteria when supplying process chemicals to UPM Jämsänkoski, Kaipola, Kaukas, Kymi, Nordland, Plattling and Rauma mills as well as Fray Bentos, Kaukas, Kymi and Pietarsaari pulp mills. In practice, suppliers have to add requested information into the My Swan account tool, developed by Nordic Ecolabel. The My Swan Account is a database for chemicals used by Nordic Ecolabelled pulp, paper and printing companies.