Raision Tehtaat and UPM-Kymmene set up a joint venture to develop sterol technology

Raision Tehtaat Oy Ab and UPM-Kymmene Corporation have signed a precontract on a joint venture company. The aim is to develop methods of separating sterols and market them to forest industry companies.
Raision Tehtaat has a 65 % holding in the new company, Sterol Technologies Ltd, while UPM-Kymmene holds the remaining 35 %. The company will start operating in Raisio on April 1, 1997.
Raisio and UPM-Kymmene will be transferring all their know-how in sterol separation and manufacture to Sterol Technologies. UPM-Kymmene's Kaukas mill is a forerunner in sterol separation and a leading wood-sterol producer. It separates raw sterol from the pulp-making process. Raisio uses this to make stanol ester for its Benecol margarine.
Sterol Technologies plans to market sterol technology know-how in the form of mill design packages, to customers in the forest industry. Raisio thus hopes to increase and safeguard its long-term supplies of raw sterol.
For further information, please contact:
Raision Tehtaat, Keijo Ukkonen, tel. +358 50 567 3095
UPM-Kymmene, Matti Hautala, tel. +358 204 15 4251