Bringing sustainability into everyday life
UPM Formi EcoAce
The need for a new alternative
Plastics are versatile and robust materials, which is why they are commonplace throughout our lives. Yet everybody is becoming increasingly aware of their fossil-based origins and there is growing demand for sustainable alternatives, based on renewable resources.
How a tree transforms into a new material
Sustainable credentials are key to a bright future for our planet and one solution lies in using renewable raw materials that are responsibly sourced. UPM Formi EcoAce is a new, innovative biocomposite which is almost 100 % based on renewables.
UPM Formi EcoAce biocomposite is made of wood fibres or cellulose fibres and renewable biopolymer (on a mass balance basis), derived from UPM BioVerno naphtha. Materials originate in certified forests and are produced using side streams and residues from wood and pulp processing, so no additional harvesting is needed and there is no competition with food production. Despite its containing natural fibres, UPM Formi EcoAce has similar material properties to fossil-based plastics and similar moulding techniques can be used.
Natural look & feel from wood fibres
The look and feel of the material have some similarities to wood – and just as every tree is unique, each product made from this material also has its own distinctive natural surface. It can be produced in an array of colours and textures, opening up a wide range of new possibilities for durable applications.
Using innovation to bring sustainability into our homes, UPM Formi EcoAce is a win-win solution for manufacturers, consumers, and our planet as we move to a future beyond fossils.
UPM Formi EcoAce
- Almost 100 % based on renewal materials
- Suitable for use in reusable, injection moulded goods
- Wood fibres from PEFC-certified, sustainably managed forest
- ISCC certified, renewable based polymer derived from UPM BioVerno naphtha is used
- Raw materials are side streams and residues of wood and pulp processing processes, so no additional harvesting is needed
- No competition with food production chain
- Wood fibres give a natural look & feel
- Producible in different colours
- 100% recycling ready