(UPM, Helsinki, 30 November, 2012 at 14:00 EET) – At the New Generation Plantation Project (NGPP) conference organised this week in the capital of Uruguay in Montevideo, UPM showcased how it manages sustainable forestry plantations. The international conference was attended by forestry, plantation and sustainability experts from all over the world as well as global companies and representatives of the Uruguayan government.
Opening the conference Tabare Aguerre, the Uruguayan Minister for Agriculture, highlighted the fact that Uruguay is the only country in South America that had actually increased its area of native forest in the last twenty years.
Minister Aguerre said: “Plantation forestry has helped develop and diversify the Uruguayan economy and continues to attract investments”.
“Well-managed plantations can have a positive role to play in economic, social and environmental development when they are managed in accordance with the concepts of the New Generation Plantation Project”, said Luis Neves Silva of WWF, Manager of the NGPP.
“Our approach to plantation management is aligned with the New Generation Plantation Principles. Wherever we operate, we respect the rights of local communities and protect ecosystems and natural forests. All of our eucalyptus plantations in Uruguay are FSC and PEFC certified,” says Javier Solari, Vice President of UPM’s Plantation Operations.
The Montevideo conference concluded with a four day study tour of Uruguay sharing best practices in sustainable plantation management.
Plantation Life website tells more about UPM’s sustainable plantation forestry
UPM’s eucalyptus plantation forestry company in Uruguay, Forestal Oriental, is the centre of expertise for UPM plantation operations worldwide. Approximately 60% of the land owned by the company is planted for eucalyptus. The rest of the land is used for cattle grazing and forestry-related infrastructure or is protected and not used for plantation operations. The long term annual harvest of pulp wood in these areas covers currently 70% of the demand for wood raw material for UPM’s Fray Bentos pulp mill. The remaining 30% is purchased from independent suppliers. In co-operation with local private landowners, the company’s FOMENTO programme works to encourage the suppliers to diversify the use of their farmland using sustainable plantation forestry.
More information on UPM’s plantation operations is available online at www.upmplantationlife.com. On the website the visitor will find videos with UPM employees working in the plantation operations, people who live in the communities close to the plantations, and many other people UPM works with discussing issues relevant to plantation operations. Facts and cases provide additional information on UPM’s operations.
For further information, please contact
WWF’s New Generation Plantation Project (NGPP) responds to a growing need for a better understanding of the role that well-managed and appropriately located plantations can play in future societies. The target is to promote key features of healthy, diverse and multi-functional forest landscapes, compatible with biodiversity conservation and human needs. UPM participates in the NGPP and is committed to the development, application and promotion of the New Generation Plantations concept. www.newgenerationplantations.com
New generation plantations are forest plantations that maintain ecosystem integrity, protect the high conservation values and are developed through effective stakeholder participation, while contributing to economic growth and employment. UPM has been one of the key members of the NGPP since it began 2008.
UPM leads the integration of bio and forest industries into a new, sustainable and innovation-driven future. Our products are made of renewable raw materials and are recyclable. UPM consists of three Business Groups: Energy and pulp, Paper, and Engineered materials. The Group employs around 23,000 people and it has production plants in 17 countries. UPM's annual sales exceed EUR 10 billion. UPM's shares are listed on the Helsinki stock exchange. UPM – The Biofore Company – www.upm.com