We source mainly from Finland the wood used in our mills to make useful products. Each year, we spend hundreds of millions of euros in wood purchase payments to private forest owners, and as compensation to our contractors for harvesting and transporting wood and for forest management work. We provide work for over 3000 professionals, mainly in sparsely populated rural areas. As of the end of 2016, we employed a total of 7,347 people directly at our mills and in our wood sourcing, forest management and other functions in Finland.
In 2015, our share of the Finnish GDP amounted to 2% and the added value produced by UPM totalled € 1.5 billion. When taking into account the added value generated by the multiplier effects resulting from purchases, the added value produced by us in Finland amounted to as much as € 2.6 billion.
- UPM's value creation also generates tax revenues
- Finland: a European model country in bioeconomy
- Developing the forest business requires hard work and collaboration
- What is required from harvesting machine operator now and in the future
- UPM Kymi pulp and paper mill at a new level of efficiency – renewable energy as a byproduct
- Kaukas mills and the local community
- UPM Kaukas leads the way in promoting the circular economy
- Megatrends drive pulp demand
- Biofuels production contributing to economic growth
- UPM pursues Zero Solid Waste to landfill status by 2030
- Spending money to make it grow