Renewable and recyclable products
Our products are based on renewable and recyclable wood fibre. We create products that replace non-renewable materials with renewable materials. Unlike fossil-based resources, the sustainable use of renewable resources adds no new carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
Recyclable paper products with high environmental performance are still core business for us. Recycling paper is a model example of the circular economy. It is the most sustainable way to give paper a new life. UPM is, for instance, the world’s largest user of recovered paper in the graphic paper industry.
Our pulp products are made of sustainable wood from controlled and certified sources, with full traceability. Pulp manufacturing generates wood-based bioenergy and other valuable by-products and production residues.
In 2016, 69% of UPM’s overall sales of paper, chemical pulp, plywood and timber products was ecolabelled. This figure includes FSC, PEFC and EU Ecolabels, and national ecolabels.
Get to know our fibre-based products:
- Wood-based biochemicals
- Renewable energy from biomass
- Self-adhesive label materials
- Sustainable graphic and specialty papers and label materials
- Certified plywood and veneer
- Sustainable pulp
- Certified timber
Self-adhesive label materials
UPM Raflatac is one of the world’s leading producers of self-adhesive label materials for consumer product and industrial labelling.
- RafCycleTM – UPM Raflatac’s waste management concept
RafCycle Glassine Recycling by UPM Raflatac
Biochemicals are renewable products and truly sustainable, competitive and high-quality solutions.
- Biofibrils are cellulose micro- and nanofibril products that can be used for shaping materials and giving them new characteristics.
- GrowDex is a novel wood-based cellulose nanofibril hydrogel for 3D cell culturing and other biomedical applications.
- UPM BioPiva lignin is an ideal bio-based substitute for various petro-based products used today.